Wednesday, December 12, 2012

5 Priorities for Spiritual Health



I met a woman in a metaphysical shop who was searching for a “love” spell that would keep her boyfriend from cheating on her.  When I casually asked about the situation, she told me that he had been cheating on her for six years and kept leaving her for this other woman.  “But at least he comes back,” she said with a faint, yet relieved smile.  She wore large glasses that hid her face and her shoulders were tight and hunched forward.  Turtling, I’ve heard it called, trying to hide inside one’s shell.  I could easily see the dark loneliness in her heart chakra and I wanted to dunk her in a hot springs just to cleanse off her weariness.  I suggested that she buy a love candle for herself.  She looked confused.  I continued, “Don’t forget to love yourself in the process.  That’s more important than some guy.”  She quickly cut me off, “I know.  I know.   I’ve heard all this… but I just gotta get him to stay with me and then everything will be fine.”  She spent $50 buying candles, crystals and a love spell kit to keep this man from leaving her. 
This woman’s spiritual health was at zero, she was putting herself in the background of her own life and expecting someone else (who probably abandoned himself too) to fulfill her needs.  Instead, I suggested new priorities. 
Priority number one:  The relationship with God/Source. 
#2: The relationship with Self. 
#3: Family. 
#4: Livelihood. 
#5: Community.
The flavor of our relationship with God/Source affects all the other areas of our lives.  This relationship needs to be at the top of our priority list.  If this relationship is authentic, loving and trustworthy, then the other areas of our lives will be the same.  Once our relationship with Source is strong, then we can move on to the relationship we have with Self.  Self trust is vital for a successful life.  It also gives us integrity, spiritual backbone, fluidity and highly accurate intuition.  With a solid sense of self, we have something of value to offer a family.  Once the family is mentally and emotionally thriving, then we have the power and energy needed to develop a bountiful livelihood.  Once our income is secure, we can relax enough to focus our thoughts and hearts on building a cohesive and joyful community.
If one of these elements breaks down, the solution is to go back up the priority ladder.  Family problems indicate a need to re-examine the relationship we have with the Self.  Low self esteem, depression and/or anxiety indicate a need to step back and re-examine the relationship we have with Source.  An individual will not be wholly effective in contributing to a community if his business is failing or her family is unraveling.  The five priorities work together harmoniously and lead us down a path towards awareness, inner peace, stamina, wisdom and joy.  In other words:  Spiritual Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment